One of the important aspects of getting success in the eCommerce business is the selection of the right platform. It is the pillar on which your store is made. If you are thinking of starting a new online business or altering your already existing platform, then never make the mistake of compromising your commerce experience by choosing a one-size-fits-all solution. There is numerous eCommerce website development that offers several platforms from which you can select. Among them, two of the most popular platforms are Magneto and Shopify that compete with each other for being the best platform. They are two diverse tools with various features.
For a long time, Magneto has been the popular platform offered by various e-commerce companies and Shopify is one of the biggest competitors in the market. Magneto 2 is an updated version of the original platform, that has given it a higher position in the list thereby making it one of the best platforms for all kinds of businesses whether it’s small or big.
Let’s have a look at both of these popular platform and their features:
- Popularity: Magneto is one of the popular platforms from eCommerce stores but in recent years Shopify has seen a surge in its popularity and has successfully made a name for itself. It is a user-friendly platform. Magneto is however a one-size fit all platform.
- Coding: Based on coding and knowledge required, Magneto and Shopify are highly different. Magneto makes use of PHP but the coding language of Shopify is Liquid. In the same way, Magneto is open source which means the source code is available freely but Shopify is proprietary, which means code is not available freely and can’t be modified.
If you choose Magneto, you can easily change the template code according to your requirements which is not possible with Shopify. Thus, Shopify is a good platform for simple stores but not good for complex ones where some advanced functions need alteration of source code.
- Cost: Regarding initial cost, Shopify is a software as a service known as SAAS, which means the user only has to pay a monthly subscription for getting access to its software. To start with users can obtain access to a 90-day trial. Then there are three levels for pricing Basic Shopify for $29 per month, Shopify at $79 per month, and Advanced Shopify at $179 per month. By choosing high-tier options that are available for Shopify users, you can get more advanced features like abandoned cart recovery, advanced reporting, and gift cards. But on the other hand, the Magneto Community is free for everyone. They provide Enterprise edition, the cost for which is based on the requirements of your store.
- Hosting: Shopify is company hosted but Magneto is self-hosted. In the case of Shopify, users have to pay a third-party hosting service which is as low as $3.95 from companies. Magneto users can easily select their hosting solution based on their requirements as well as the price that comes with it, unlike Shopify where there is only one option.
- Extra expenses: With Shopify, you have to pay transaction fees that are made through some of the external payment gateways like PayPal, Authorize.net, and Braintree. The percentage of fees ranges from 0.5% to 2.0% with some of the costly monthly subscriptions that result in low transaction fees. But on the other hand, the complicated nature of Magneto coding language means users are required to enlist the developer services to assist in setting up and store management.
- Scalability: Who does not want its eCommerce business to sustain and achieve growth with time, therefore selecting a platform that has high scalability is very important. Shopify is a very simple tool, so if you are looking for building a website for a new and small store then Shopify is a good choice but on the other hand, Magneto is popular for its high flexibility as well as scalability. Magneto can easily cope with elevated levels of traffic thereby making it one of the best bets.
- Capabilities: This is where Magneto excels. It has several add-on extensions that offer unlimited ways for upgrading your website with some of the unique features. But in Shopify, there are a few add-on apps that are behind integrations and extensions. Moreover, Magneto also comes with several front-end features for consumers like coupon codes, consumer dashboards, wish lists, order status modules, related products, and many more. You will get to know that with Magneto, all aspects of the website are under your control.
- Themes: With both Magneto as well as Shopify you will get free and premium themes. Shopify at present provides 65 templates for all users to select from and with Magneto 2 you will get thousands of themes from several creators across the world. So, what are you waiting for? Contact the right Magneto Development Company right now to get the magneto 2 versions. These themes available on both platforms are highly responsive, which means they function well with different screen sizes. With more and more people using mobile nowadays, it’s important to have a mobile-friendly online store.
- Customer experience: A platform that is user-friendly and is easy to maintain will have a good user experience. Shopify is easy to use when compared to Magneto, for which it is mostly preferred by non-developers. With the help of some of the ready-made extensions, Magneto is easy to work with.
- Customer support and community: Shopify offers 24 hours support to its users and it goes all above and beyond to support its users but it is an aspect of the paid subscription package. But with Magneto, you will get access to a big and active user.
- SEO: Regarding SEO, both Magneto and Shopify rank pretty high and the SEO capabilities of both can drive traffic to your online store.
You can utilize this Magneto and Shopify comparison for selecting your options and can contact Web decorum- Web Design Company in Gurgaon. If you’re looking for one. Your business and your eCommerce platform can be highly affected by your choice.