What is E-commerce?
To exchange, sell and purchase goods and services using computer network is known as “E-commerce”.
In today’s era due to high rise in prices and paucity of time, the importance of E-commerce needs no overemphasis. But the problem is, one needs to be smart enough to go in for a good E-commerce Web Design so as to deal with its four major perspectives:
- B2B (Business-to-Business)
- B2C (Business-to-Consumer)
- C2B (Consumer-to-Business)
- C2C (Consumer-to-Consumer)
Here I would like to touch only the basic features to tell about the discrepancies in certain E-commerce websites, which need to be rectified if the client wants the return, value of his/her goods and services.
As a digital marketer, I audit E-commerce websites many times every week and experience amazing and unbelievable marketing mistakes.
Website design is the key for important branding and building of trust. When working on a new website, one is prone to get caught up in lucrative appeals of the design. Here, one should be always aware that one’s aim of commerce website design is to have enhanced sales and not the beautiful design of the website.
Six Important Marketing Considerations for E-commerce Web Design
Based on my personal useful experience, given hereunder are certain important considerations to be borne in mind by all concerned:
- True, we all cannot be like Apple, but no one can stop us to be so, as much as possible. We can endeavor to have our website to embody a precise and well targeted brand direction.Very often we observe luxurious websites not making satisfactory sales, but they forget the main reason for that being that the visitors find it difficult to access a particular section in which they are interested.When visitors land on a website, they should instantly understand where they are: are they accessing a luxury product, household goods etc etc. Design of your E-commerce website should be such that your brand is positioned in front of your mind.
- Specific creative beauty factor can boost your E-commerce website. It can also help to sell your products on other channels. In this era of visual sharing, use of quality product photography makes a website unequivocally much more sharable on social web.
- Another noticeable flaw observed in the E-commerce web design concept is ignorance of due importance for internal pages. Homepage is not the end of the matter. In E-commerce website, it has to simply serve as guide to the crux of what you want to sell in your internal pages. In fact, as online retailer you should be able to get the clientele off the homepage and lead them to inner size as early as possible.
- As top priority, don’t forget to put the following contact details on your website:
Contact Us Link, in the upper right hand corner
Just make the above quick and easy for the clients to contact you. Polishing, style or creativity will not do here.
- Generally it is found that people are scared of making online payments. Here your trust plays the part. For this, E-commerce web design should include trust symbols.
For example, on homepage, trust symbols could be awards, industry memberships, client logos etc. Combined with guarantees about respecting privacy of the clientele, such small design considerations will help boost your business.
- Design element of ‘Calls-to-Action” needs to be given utmost attention. These small buttons and links ultimately drive clientele to take an action on the website. It should be ensured that button/link looks clickable. If it is a button, it should look a physical button and make you to click it. In case it is a link, please underline it, which is the universal drill that the text would lead somewhere. The color of buttons should be in contrast to the rest of the site for discernible impact. Give larger and different colors to the links compared to rest of the text, for them to clearly giving the feeling of representing an action.
Please don’t take me on my word. Just give me an opportunity to serve you and see my results.